Here in the United States, we sure love our ice cream! In fact, we eat more than any other country in the world, with Americans consuming 26 liters of ice cream per year on average! At The Parsons, we are no different! With this much love for the icy stuff, let’s take it to the next level by making our own ice cream at home. No machine? No problem! Here’s how to make homemade ice cream without a specialty machine.
Step 1: Gather Your Ingredients and Supplies
For this method of making homemade ice cream without a machine, you’ll need the following:
- 1 gallon-sized plastic freezer bag (zipper style)
- 1 quart-sized plastic freezer bag (zipper style)
- 4 ounces of milk
- 4 ounces of cream
- ¼ tsp of vanilla extract (For chocolate ice cream, replace this with chocolate syrup. Additionally, you can substitute vanilla for any number of extracts to yield different flavors.)
- 4 tsp. sugar
- Food coloring (if desired)
- Plenty of ice
- Roughly ½ cup rock salt
Step 2: Put It Together
- In the quart-sized freezer bag, combine milk, cream, vanilla, sugar, and food coloring. Zip the bag shut so it is completely sealed.
- In the gallon-sized freezer bag, add a cup of ice and “a small handful of salt.”
- Place the sealed quart-sized freezer bag inside the gallon-sized freezer bag, then keep adding ice and salt until the bag is nearly full. Seal shut.
- Check again to make sure the bag is completely sealed, then hold the bag at two ends and start shaking it. The recipe relates the motion to “steering a car.” Do this for about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Open the gallon-sized bag and remove the quart-sized bag, now containing ice cream! Clean around the opening of the bag by running it under water.
- Open the bag with the ice cream and add in any desired mix-ins. Here are some ideas for mix-in inspiration!
Step 3: Enjoy and Share!
Eat that ice cream until it’s gone and then repeat!
Making homemade ice cream without a machine is so easy, it may just become part of your summer routine! Share with your friends, family, and roommates! Or, if it’s too good to give up, just go ahead and share on social media. Tag us at The Parsons on Facebook—we can’t wait to see your homemade ice cream creations!